Living Collections Manager
- WWT Slimbridge and Headquarters
- Operations, Grounds / Reserve
- £28,775 per annum
- Position type
- Full Time
- Working pattern
- 37.5 hours per week, 5 days from 7 including weekends and bank holidays
- Job advert
The successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for our Slimbridge 2020 project https://slimbridge2020.wwt.org.uk/ has been a catalyst for change at WWT Slimbridge. We are investing six million pounds into the centre adding nine new exhibits and increasing our focus on visitor engagement.
Five of the new exhibits will house new species including:
• Mission Possible - displaying the critically endangered Spoon-billed sandpiper and a new visitor focused Duckery
• Waterscapes Aviary - A large walkthrough aviary highlighting a wooded wetland, a perfect British reed bed, a wader shore and a diving duck tank
• Create & Connect - A farmyard highlighting a range of domestic ducks and geese and an Eider farm
• Arctic Adventure - Birds of the Arctic Tundra including Bewick swans and Greenland White-Fronted Goose
• The Living Wetland Theatre – displaying wetland birds in a purpose built amphitheatre including Pink Backed Pelicans, Night Herons and Crowned Cranes.
We are looking for a Living Collections Manager to lead, motivate and develop a team of animal keepers and aviculturists. The successful candidate will develop, deliver and curate the centre living collection plan and ensure the highest standards of animal welfare is met in accordance with zoo licensing regulations and DEFRA’s Secretary of State’s Standard of Modern Zoo Practice. The role will also will also have an integral role in delivering WWT’s visitor engagement strategy and animal presentations.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated and demonstrate a proactive, engaging management approach. They will be responsible for all animal management, which includes over 2,500 birds, a variety of wetland mammals and a leading collection of over 50 species of amphibians; you will work closely with other departments to drive operational improvements across the site to achieve an amazing, surprising, inspiring and engaging visitor experience.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a conservation charity that protects wetlands for wildlife and people. We conserve, restore and create wetlands. We are pioneers in saving wetland wildlife, both in the UK and around the world. At our 10 UK sites over a million visitors a year engage with wetland nature. We work internationally in key global wetland areas, balancing conservation with sustainable livelihoods and influencing national and international conservation policies.
In return for your hard work and dedication you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Contributory pension scheme (conditions apply)
- Life assurance
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free entry to all our centres
Interview Date: 11th February 2019
- Job description
- Closing Date
Unless specifically stated, we do not accept CVs for job applications