Assistant Aviculturalist (Project Godwit)
- WWT Welney
- £17,115.00 per annum
- Position type
- Full Time
- Working pattern
- 37.5 hours per week including work during weekends, public holidays and evenings
- Job advert
This is fixed term contract for 2 months
We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic aviculturalist to join the Project Godwit team at WWT Welney Wetland Centre to assist in the implementation of a headstarting programme for black-tailed godwits. Project Godwit is a five-year EU Life funded project that is aiming to secure the future of breeding black-tailed godwits in the UK through habitat management, research, supplementing the population through headstarting, and engaging local communities. Headstarting refers to the bringing of wild laid eggs in to captivity where they can be hatched and raised in relative safety and later released back in to the wild, in order to boost population numbers. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone looking to develop a career in animal management and/or species conservation.
Project Godwit is a partnership between RSPB and WWT with major funding from the EU LIFE Nature Programme, the HSBC 150th Anniversary fund, Natural England, the Heritage Lottery Fund, through the Back from the Brink Programme, and Leica UK. The project aims to secure the future of black-tailed godwits in the Fens. www.projectgodwit.org.uk
About the job:
Working alongside an enthusiastic and friendly team you will:
• Assist with the maintenance of temporary and permanent indoor and outdoor facilities and all associated equipment required for the successful incubation, hatching and rearing of black-tailed godwits.
• Assist with the incubation, hatching and rearing of black-tailed godwit eggs and chicks.
• Carry out daily feed and care routines in accordance with strict protocols.
• Collect and record data on eggs and chicks as well as environmental conditions and husbandry activities using paper and electronic record-keeping systems.
• Implement and uphold rigorous biosecurity standards to ensure the health and safety of humans, eggs, birds and the environment.
This post is based at our Welney Wetland Centre and regular travel around the site will be essential. Some travel to nearby sites will also occasionally be required.
The position will require a flexible working pattern of five days out of seven, and will regularly require working during weekends, public holidays, and evenings, to meet the requirements of the post.
What type of applicant are we looking for?
• Animal husbandry experience.
• Able to work outdoors whatever the weather.
• Experience of carrying out routine manual tasks whilst maintaining high standards.
• Operation of a range of horticultural machinery and tools.
• Excellent communication, team work and interpersonal skills.
• An enthusiastic team worker with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude and keen attention to detail.
• Able to work independently using own initiative with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication skills in English; both verbally and in writing.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a conservation charity that protects wetlands for wildlife and people. We conserve, restore and create wetlands. We are pioneers in saving wetland wildlife, both in the UK and around the world. At our 10 UK sites around a million visitors a year engage with wetland nature. We work internationally in key global wetland areas, balancing conservation with sustainable livelihoods and influencing national and international conservation policies.
In return for your hard work and dedication you’ll enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Contributory pension scheme (conditions apply)
- Life assurance
- Free car parking and secure bike storage areas
- Free entry to all our centres
For more information, and to apply for the role, please visit
Closing date: 23rd February 2020
Interview date: 11th March 2020
WWT is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be considered solely on merit.
- Job description
- Closing Date
Unless specifically stated, we do not accept CVs for job applications